Now at 19 months River is starting to wean, naturally. He is going longer and longer periods without breastfeeding, and we are finding that Mama's milk is lessening and lessening. He asks more for water than milk now. When upset or sad, he has developed independent skills for coping and comfort. He is still so busy, rarely taking a break to nurse.
I am so incredibly happy that this feels like a natural process led by River...at the same time, I'm filled with a powerful sense of loss. I know with absolute certainty that other breastfeeding mothers have felt the same. The act of bringing your child to your breast...nourishing them in the healthiest way possible, and sharing those close intimate moments are hard to say good-bye to. It is one of the many, many moments I've discovered in motherhood to be so very bitter-sweet...
But I am watching my baby turn into a little boy every single day. And this little boy has an incredible ability to charm us with his silly and cute little ways, making all those bitter-sweet moments, slightly sweeter...
he is one goofy kid.
ReplyDelete