I figured this year and a half birthday called for an update on development. And believe it or not...a big piece of that update is going to be on sleep! Yes...still....sleep (sigh).
Today River climbed out of his crib. Well the first time, he climbed over, hung there, then dropped. The next two times, he propelled himself up and over his crib rail with no fear of speed or position. Luckily Mama observed and caught the flying boy each time.
Fear gripped me. I knew we had to make another transition with this already very shaky routine.
River has been going to sleep in his crib, usually very easily, since, well, probably my last post on sleep. He has inconsistently remained asleep through the night. More often than not, he wakes one, two or three times in the night. We were at a point where Zac could easily get River back to sleep with just a little cuddle.
When this did not work River would come to our bed, sometimes he would breastfeed, sometimes he would fall right asleep. I can't even tell you how many times I've wished River sucked his thumb...taken a pacifier...ANYTHING!
We made what felt like the only choice we had tonight, and that was to transition River to a toddler bed. Our crib does convert, so we decided to go for it.
We talked about River's new "big bed" all day, and River even helped me convert the crib and make the bed. Zac and I decided on a new bedtime routine that does not include any breastfeeding, and we went for it. River had a bath, lotion and jammies, had banana and nigh-nigh milk (warmed soy milk that he only sort of sips at this time), we read books in bed, then turned off the lights.
I'd love to report that it went so smoothly; that it was so much easier than I thought it would be...
River screamed, threw himself around like a crazy beast, and finally fell asleep after about 20 minutes of trying to crawl out of his bed. I sat next to him, calmly laying him down each time he tried to crawl out, and quietly reminded him "time to go nigh-night."
He didn't ask to breastfeed at all, which saved me. Our plan is to remove breastfeeding from bedtime and nighttime all together. At this point, it isn't good for him or me. I plan to still breastfeed if he asks when he wakes up in the morning, and possibly mid-day. I figure we have the next six months for gradual weaning.
In other development news...
River is turning into a little boy right before our eyes. These last few weeks he has been so content to run off and play with Sissy. He loves putting dress-up clothes on, which includes anything fancy from Sissy's dress-up box, and his boots. He loves imitating household tasks, specifically sweeping. He has favorite books he wants read over and over again. He is a master climber. Climbing up steps, up slides, and well, now I guess we can add crib rails. He still loves talking on the phone, and just today asked to call "Agey" (Sagey). He continues to attempt many words, and adds a new vocabulary word or two a week. He signs, vocalizes and gestures quite effectively to communicate his needs, considering his lack of vocabulary at this time. He drinks from an open cup and eats a variety of foods. He watches other children closely and then joins them, imitating what they do.
He is still my sweet boy, but definitely with a bit of crazy/silly mixed in.
Happy 1 1/2 birthday River!
We love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment