Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Jelly Shoes

Yet again, I have stumbled upon one of those moments in parenthood that have my mind reeling with jumbled thoughts. These moments are the moments I couldn't anticipate as a parent...stuff I never thought I'd ponder.
Today I pondered, and then I bought River his own pair of jelly shoes.
It started like this....Maggie got some jelly shoes. I've shared before that River adores shoes. I've known many toddlers that do. River wears my shoes, Daddy's shoes, Sissy's shoes, all the shoes at Miss Nicole's house, and his own of course, but those new jelly shoes of Sissy's....!!!
He would rush to try them on, laugh and giggle as they made loud click-clack sounds on the tile floor and then muster up the strength to return them to Sissy who very patiently was waiting to wear her new favorite shoes.
Now here I am...finding myself pondering the world of little boys, the world of my little boy. A little boy that is so carefree, that like all toddlers, wants to imitate his world, his people. He wants to mow the whole yard with his baby doll, because he mowed the yard with Daddy yesterday. He wants to take his little motorcycle and rider, that he refers to as "helmet guy" everywhere with him. He wants to ride his new "blue bike fast!" He wants to have colorful painted toes too! He wants to jump off every ledge. He wants to race a matchbox car up and down the slide at the park like the boys he's watching. He wants those glittery jelly shoes that sound and feel so cool!
I didn't get a picture, but today when Maggie and I picked up River, and she excitedly showed him his special new gift...he had the biggest smile. He put them on in the car, and didn't take them off until bedtime (and yes, this meant he napped in them).
If Maggie can proudly wear her boy undies that she "borrowed" from Grandma's house, well then River can wear his sparkly grey jelly shoes proudly too. Because each of my children is uniquely themselves, enjoying all of their childhood.

Special Note: 
As I ponder, Zac simply says, "Just buy him some jelly shoes!" One of the many reasons I love my husband is that he never falters in who he is. My husband who undoubtedly can do all the "boy stuff" is the same boy that stole my heart in 7th grade with hair to his shoulders. The same boy that wore cut-off Khaki shorts (short cut-off shorts that is) our senior year when we started dating. That boy has painted his toe nails on more than one occasion since we've been married. That boy that always dreamed of having his own jelly shoes, that boy that had a doll too, AND My Little Ponies when he was little. He is an amazing role model for our son, and just an all around awesome dad!







3 comments:

  1. looking back, my cut-off shorts were a fine resemblance of bob weir in the early 90s. - zc

    ReplyDelete
  2. The group of families I work with seem to have an extra hard time with things like this. I wish I could show them a video of River now, and again in 20 years, so they could see how wonderful a boy that wore jelly shoes turned out!

    ReplyDelete